Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic Salt (optional)
Black Pepper (optional)
- Set broiler on Hi.
- Slice Italian bread, and arrange slices on a baking sheet.
- Brush slices with olive oil, and place under broiler until toasted. Remove from oven and flip slices.
- Arrange basil leaves, tomato slices, and mozarella cheese pieces, in that order, atop the bread slices.
- Brush olive oil around the exposed edges of the bread.
- Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and cracked pepper.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted.
I have listed this recipe as an appetizer, but we like to enjoy it as a light supper with a side of fresh fruit. The extra olive oil on top of the bread keeps the edges from burning under the broiler while the cheese is melting, and adds a little more of that great olive oil flavor.